Friday, November 13, 2015

Why Linux Certification



Just after posting about the Linux certification on my blog I realized that some people might think why did I went for the certification. In fact, few of my technology friends asked whether I am planning to become a full time system administrator.

The answer is a No. That would be last of my options. The real reason is, I like Linux. I have been using it full time for the past 5 years and am sure I would be using in the future also, in one form or the other. Right now I am using centos both at work and on my home pc. I just installed it and started exploring and learnt on my own. This way I got a decent knowledge of the operating system and command line usage. But I always don't know certain simple stuff like how do I connect my pendrive, how do I install packages (confidently, with out fear of breaking things) and I wanted to know how to set up basic web server and file sharing servers.

I can learn all these stuff by just googling around and on top of that I hate sitting in the class other than me exploring and learning on my own. But, I went for it because I will get to know people who are experts in that area. I will have access to the lab. I can experiment with things and learn with out the fear of losing the data on the machine. That's one reason I got a raspberry pi but never got the chance to use it properly and gave it to my nephew.

It was a very good experience and learned a ton of stuff. RHCSA is a bit repetition of the stuff i already knew but I would recommend if for people who are new to linux, even if you are not planning to become a system administrator. But RHCE is full of juicy stuff like nfs, yum and Apache server set ups. I learned a lot of new stuff and got exposed to technologies which I wouldn't have used otherwise.

I can't share much about the exam but I will try to give a general overview. All Red hat exams are fully practical. There are no multiple choice questions. You will be given preconfigured virtual machine and you are expected to achieve a list of tasks. So, Don't just learn. Practice, practice, practice. During the exam, attempt the toughest problems first. If you are not able to get it working or have few errors you can always reset the vms and start from the beginning. They are very time constrained, Manage it efficiently. Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment